The North Carolina General Assembly passed a state constitutional amendment stating that ” Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state" which will ban legal recognition for ALL unmarried couples. Not only does this prohibit same-sex marriage, this will [directly from their website]
- prohibit North Carolina from ever passing legislation that would grant civil unions;
- bar the state from instituting domestic partnership rights;
- strip the domestic partner insurance benefits currently offered to employees by a number of local governments, including Chapel Hill, Durham, Greensboro, and Mecklenburg and Orange Counties.
- invalidate domestic violence protections for all unmarried partners;
- undercut existing child custody and visitation rights that are designed to protect the best interests of children;
- prevent the state from giving committed couples rights to allow them to order their relationships, including threatening their ability to determine the disposition of their deceased partner’s remains; to make medical decisions if their partner is incapacitated; and to allow second-parent adoptions in order to ensure that both partners have a legal tie to, and financial responsibilities for, the children they are raising.
- invalidate trusts, wills, and end-of-life directives by one partner in favor of the other.
If you're in NC, vote May 8, 2012 and fight against discrimination in our state.
Check out all the photos they have here, follow them on Twitter, Facebook, and help spread the word!